Below are some commonly reported problems with Outlook for Mac. Click on the links provided below for more detailed information including any available work around.
view all | hide all
Meetings and Emails Appear with Incorrect Time
Meetings and emails are appearing with incorrect times. It has been determined that the cause of this problem is having the Time Zone set incorrectly in the Outlook Web App (OWA). To correct this issue, please do the following:
- Sign in to OWA, click Settings (the gear icon at the top right corner), then click Options.
- In the left navigation pane, click General, then click Region and time zone.
- In the Current time zone box, click the arrow, and then click the correct time zone setting for your region. (For those of us at Mason on the East Coast this is (UTC - 05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- Click Save.
Calendar: Setting Permissions Greyed Out
When setting calendar permissions, the permissions button is greyed out. Make sure you have the box checked for only the one calendar you would like to add permissions and not multiple calendars checked.
Email: Messages Getting Caught in Junk Email
You should check your Junk Email folder periodically to ensure that you are not missing valid messages. In Outlook 2011 for Mac, you will find the junk email protection options greyed out and not adjustable. This feature is not available and you will need to use Outlook on the Web to set junk email preferences. When you set junk email preferences in Outlook on the Web it will automatically use those settings no matter how you choose to access your email account. (i.e. mobile device, Outlook on the Web, Outlook for Mac, Outlook for Windows, etc.)
For directions on editing your preferences check out our junk email page.
Email: Archive Mailbox
Server based Archive mailboxes are not visible/accessible via Outlook 2011. The only way to view server based Archive mailboxes on a Mac is via Outlook on the Web.
Email: Valid Email Addresses Being Returned as Undeliverable
Sending an email to someone using the Outlook Auto-Complete List may be returned as undeliverable. A work around is to remove the address that is being reported as invalid from the Auto-Complete List. You should then be able to re-address your email and send as normal. Below are directions on removing the address from Outlook 2011.
How to remove an address from the Auto-Complete List
- Open a new email and begin typing the email address in the 'To' field.
- Use the up and down arrow keys to select the address to be removed. When the address to be removed is highlighted, press the Delete key on the keyboard.
Email: Junk Email Protection Options are Greyed Out
In Outlook 2011 for Mac, you will find the junk email protection options greyed out and not adjustable. This feature is not available and you will need to use Outlook Web App (OWA) to set junk email preferences. When you set junk email preferences in OWA it will automatically uses those settings no matter how you choose to access your email account. (i.e. mobile device, Outlook on the Web, Outlook for Mac, Outlook for Windows)
For directions on editing your preferences check out the junk mail page.
Email: Unable to Type Contractions
In Outlook 2011 for Mac when you type some contractions it will capitalize the entire contraction or not allow you to continue typing. (ex. I'm into I'M). To fix this you can change a setting under Outlook->Preferences->AutoCorrect and then uncheck 'Correct TWo INitial CApitals."
Calendar: Shared Calendar Link Does Not Work
When you attempt to share your calendar with an Outlook 2011 user, the button that is normally embedded in the e-mail message does not work. A work around is to use the 'Open Calendar' button to add the calendar to your Outlook.
Calendar: Shared Calendar Doesn't Have an Option to Change the Color
In Outlook 2011, there is not an option to change the color of the whole shared calendar. However, please follow the instructions below for a work around to this issue.
How to change shared calendar color in Outlook 2011:
- Open the first shared calendar and then close your personal calendar.
- Select the Organize tab.
- Switch from Grid to List view by clicking on the List icon.
- Click on the first calendar item row to select it.
- Select Edit | Select All.
- Click on the Categorize icon and select a color, name the calendar, and click OK.
- Click the Organize tab and switch List to Grid.
- Do this with each shared calendar.
- You can now view them all together differentiated by color.
Contacts: Server Contact Groups
Contact groups on the server aren't visible in Outlook 2011 and those created in Outlook 2011 are only local. (Note, Outlook 2010 for Windows does work with the Server.)
view all | hide all
For more troubleshooting tips, click here.